From: Blind-Computing [mailto:blind-computing-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Shadow Systems
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 12:50 PM
To: blind-computing@jaws-users.com
Subject: [Blind-Computing] Network Attached Storage & RAID.

Hello Everyone.

I am currently researching my options for purchasing a Network Attached
Storage ("NAS") box, and have some questions involving them.

My Primary question is, are there any Manufacturers, Brands, Models, etc
that I should stay away from?
That I should place in higher contention than the others?
Why, and please cite all relevant sources so that I can continue researching
along those provided avenues.

A secondary, but not unrelated question, is which Redundant Array of
Independant Disks ("RAID") controllers (again, Manufacturer, Brand, Models,
etc) should I avoid or gravitate towards? And again, please cite all
relevant sources so I can continue researching.
Are there any Blind Accessable Software RAID programs out there? If so,
which ones work & which ones deserve to be stomped into a wood chipper &
turned into mulch with extreme prejudice?

I'm going to be using the NAS with my laptop, so installing a physical RAID
controller card isn't an option, and I'd prefer if the box had either a USB
or E-SATA connection to the laptop.
(WiFi doesn't like me & tends to scramble itself due to my magnetic
personality. *Chortle*) Another reason to prefer the physical connection is
that I'm not fond of having to File Transfer Protocol ("FTP") my own files
across my sluggish network to my NAS box.
It would take too long to FTP multiple TeraBytes of data to the NAS, when I
could just plug in the USB or E-SATA cable from the NAS to my laptop, and
move them via Windows File Explorer like I would any other files.
Since I'm connected via Cable Modem (no Wireless), the RJ45 jack of the
laptop is already in use, so I can't connect it that way.

Thank you for the help, and any assistance is appreciated.
-ShadowSystems