Just for reference, jzip and frots both compile just fine on mac OSX.  I used to have copies on my mac pages, but I have since lost those actual pages, though I'm sure I can still find the programs if anyone still wants them.  Perhaps I need to rebuild my mac pages, and post everything again.  I only have an older (cerca 2009 macbook) at the moment, so can't say how well anything I compile on it will work with newer macs, but it's trivially easy to build jzip and frots on the mac, and honestly, I don't see the need for macports, not the least of reasons is because when I installed it back in 2005, it hosed my system, requiring a reinstall of the os.  Every since then, I've actually gone through the macports catalog, and compiled each and every program they offered (at the time) on the mac without macports, and it worked just fine, so you can't feed me any crap about how any emulation layer is necessary for compatability.