I've used water on the desert dragon. It gets the job done. Ice is also decent.
If you are on the peninsula where the second stadium is, go south from there
once you've completed the second stadium, and if you explore, you will find the
polar preserve where you can pick up some ice types. The penguin in particular
is seriously awesome. I use that on almost every play through.