I don't really think it's blindness totally that can control how people look at you. I mean, you'll have those people, and I'm sorry to say quite a lot of people, who will hear, in passing, "Oh, he/she is blind, better be careful." I don't necessarily mean careful, but you know what I mean...treating you like you're made of glass, or being awkward around you. But a lot of it I think is in how you present yourself to others as someone with a visual impairment. And this is where the whole slue of needing to be independent with stuff works in again. Not only for your own sake, but there are a million normal things a blind person can do to show that they're not helpless in front of sighted people. I don't mean do back flips and say, "Look what I can do!" Just the simple things, hence, how you present yourself. I'm not saying ditch the thought of this guy or whatever because of the way he acted, but if you attempt to get him to see you for a little more than what you think he's currently seeing you as, and he still doesn't treat you like others or whatever, in that way, blindness maybe just was a filter for you. And that's not always a bad thing. Who's to say that because he simply couldn't take interest in you because of your blindness you and him wouldn't have worked? You need to be able to appreciate things like that in the ones you love. I figure if you met a person who could recognize you for who you were, and at the same time be amazed at what you can do, and is willing to help you out, when appropriate, that then that person could be someone who could be a potential long-lasting relationship. Anyway, that's just my thoughts.

----- Original Message -----
From: Holly <holly....@hotmail.co.uk
To: <blind-teen-talk@googlegroups.com
Date sent: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 20:52:36 +0000
Subject: [BTT] Do you ever?

Do you ever think that it's because you're blind that certain things do or don't happen?

This might sound weird.

There's this guy that I kind of like at school. We're friends but he doesn't like me back in that way. I sometimes wonder if it's because I can't see, actualy i think that all the time. I'm not saying he definitely would like me if I could see, but I do think it changes what people think, especially at this age.

I don't know what do you all think.