Totally agree with Kaiti and you about the awareness thing. I mean, if people in wheel chairs depended on people to carry them around, how would you know when someone wasn't just trying to be lazy? "Hey, getcho, um, butt over heeya and carry my, butt, to the store." Terrible analogy, because that doesn't happen, and not being able to walk is a bit different from not being able to see. But it popped in my head and it's not like this listy is about not saying things. LOL.

----- Original Message -----
From: Holly <holly....@hotmail.co.uk
To: <blind-teen-talk@googlegroups.com
Date sent: Wed, 9 Mar 2011 23:12:10 +0000
Subject: Re: [BTT] blind people and canes

I don't use it if I know the place well because I don't need to, and if I know it well it probably means I've been there before and people will know me, an obvious example being home and when i'm at friends houses. But when I
get a train somewhere or go on the bus or are just generally out
independantly I always have it because like you say people are more willing to help. A lot of the time people don't realise i'm blind and so having the cane with me lets them know without all the awkwardness of explaining everything. It also means people are usually more willing to give their time
up to help you.