From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Max Hearn
Sent: Monday, July 24, 2006 10:11 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Good food practice

Greetings all,

I believe that we are all spinning the cylinder on the revolver and pulling
back the hammer to come down with salmonella, shigella, noro-virus,
campylobacter and various and assorted food borne illnesses UNLESS....we
follow the simple rules of cleaning and sanitizing surfaces, avoiding
cross-contamination, following proper food storage temperatures, keeping
food out of the danger zone and last, but most important washing one's hands
every chance you get.

Luck can prevail and a cutting board, be it wood, plastic, glass or whatever
may not make us sick by supporting bacterial growth.  However, it can and
often does because we don't follow the rules of food protection.  The two
most easily controllable factors in food safety and sanitation are Time and
Temperature.  Food left out to warm to room temperature becomes media for
bacterial growth.  Food products are generally not sterilized and may
frequently have bacteria on it or exposed during the preparation or process,
The danger zone is considered 40 degrees to 140 degrees.  Most bacteria may
well grow easily at those temperatures.  The ranges of temperatures above
and below that are considered "safe".  Just to add to the intrigue of the
game, these temperatures do support some bacterial growth {psychrophilic
(cold-loving) and thermophilic (hot-loving) }.  Time is important because
most bacteria, in order to make one sick need to be in large numbers.  Again
to add to the game, Ecoli 0157-H7 can make us sick with relatively few
numbers (some say as few as 50)!  Bacterial organisms are tiny, about
1/25,000 of an inch or 5 to 7 microns.  This size is so very tiny that the
pores or cells in that wooden cutting board look like the swimming pool in
your back yard.  Any food debris or fluid from meat or their juices, or
other organic materials becomes a veretable bacterial feast and if at the
right temperature for the right amount of time....there you have it....FOOD
POISONING!

The gift....without cleaning and sanitizing....that keeps on giving.
Practice food safety and sanitization in everything that you do.  Don't just
use one part of the process.  It takes all of the process to keep you safe
in the kitchen.  Dishwashing and sanitizing the dishes and utensils is just
as important....don't forget that, either!  I know, you hate that part, but
don't trade it for 36 to 48 hours of gut-wrenching nausea and vomiting and
explosive diarrhea just to save a few minutes of work before the favorite TV
show or card game.  Once you get food poisoning....you'll never forget the
cleaning and sanitizing process or the dishwashing again!

Don't worry so much about what the cutting board is made out of, but do
worry about whether it is clean and sanitized.

Nuff said and I can't even cook!  Have a good SAFE dinner tonight!

Max in SC