From: "Geoff Eden" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 01, 2006 11:15 AM
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] generator sizes

> Good morning all, our Canadian tire store had a bargain on 10 amp 1200 W
generators.  I have always wanted to have a generator on hand for power
outages.  I believe the only thing I really need to keep going is my furnace
fan and the thermostat controls, with perhaps a lamp or two.

> Two questions, first, my furnace fan is one of those with the motor in the
middle of the squirrel cage, hence I believe it to be a capacitor start.  Do
you suspect, as I do, that it will draw continuously less than 10 amps, and
that 1200 W should just about get it started.  (This might be wishful
thinking) I do not have a monster distribution system, my house is about
1200 square feet, so it's not a palace.

> Secondly, I have never had to measure starting amperage for a motor.  I
have here, the famous Circuit City audio meter.  Can I just probe the leads
and start the motor to read amperage, or do I have to open the circuit and
put the meter in the circuit in series to read it.

> Geoff

>  http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
> or

> The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
> http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml
>
> Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From
Various List Members At The Following Address:
> http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/
> Visit the new archives page at the following address
list just send a blank message to:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Yahoo! Groups Links
>

> --

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: