From: "Dan Rossi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:44 AM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Tired, so tired.

Carla asked:

> Just curious though, what would  it have cost to have someone come
> in and build this deck?

Carla Carla Carla.  You are missing the point completely.  I could easily
have paid someone to come in and build this deck for me.  They would
probably have done a better job.  They would have gotten it done a hell of
a lot faster than I will.  And I wouldn't have had to haul 80 freakin
pound bags of cement up the stairs.  and it would probably have cost me a
grand or two more to save my back.

However, I am building the deck not so much because I want a deck, but
because I want to build a deck.  I sit at my stupid desk pounding on a
keyboard all friggin day.  At the end of the day, I have nothing to point
to and say I made that, I created that.  I can only say, nothing broke
today.  I can say I gave people answers to questions they had.  I can say
I tested this or tested that and it broke this way or didn't break that
way.  I can't even get into the room where the machines I work on are
stashed.  They are in a secure machine room two blocks away.  There is a
total lack of physicality to the work I do.

I want to create something that I can touch and feel and know that it is
there because I made it be there.

My degree is in mechanical engineering but when I couldn't convince an
employer I could be a mechanical engineer I had to earn a living so I went
into I T, something I can't stand but it earns me a lot of money so I do
it.

anyway, that's probably a bit deeper look into my head than folks on the
list needed, but it's the truth.

Later.

--
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: