I really am looking for a manual wood splitter, something powered by
a hand pumped hydraulic pump or perhaps a screw turned by a bar.

These things probably don't exist, but it would seem to make sense to
me that they did.  As a kid we had a couple of house jacks that had
20 T stamped into the castings.  I was told this ment the jacks were
rated at 20 tons, and they were turned with a real long peice of
steel shafting.  They were heavy, very heavy, and a lot of blocking
was needed even for the smallest jobs.  We used them for squaring up
old barns and other buildings.

Seems to me one of those screws must have been adapted to splitting
wood.  Could be used inside, would be quiet enough so I wouldn't
become totally disoriented, and would be slow enough so I should be
able to keep both my hands intact, and attached.

Just dreaming.

Once upon a time, I came across a wood splitter that was reported to
use a hydraulic jack on a wev page.  But that was back in the days of
DOS and Net Tamer and I can not find the page now.  The pages I do
find, that may have just what I am looking forr, relie on
graphics.  Text description is really lacking.

Recently found something called "Charlie's Wood Splitter" or
something like that. It is apparently a large, conical bit that
attaches to an impact wrench.  (Requires a 3/4 or 1" impact wrench,
and might be just the ticket.  But $200 to find out is a bit
daunting, and my impact wrench is only a 1/2" drive, anyway.  I think
adding a 3/a4 impact wrench to my tools might be pretty expensive,
although I haven't actually checked at Harbour Freight or
Northern.   The idea is intrigueing,
  though.  Makes so much sense.

Will keep looking

Joe

At 04:50 PM 8/27/06, you wrote:
>What kind of splitter are you looking for Joe?  The only manual ones I
>know about have a sledge or maul involved.
>The splitters that use a hydraulic ram can be pretty pricey.  I've had
>one that was basically a Briggs & Stratton engine driving a geared down
>augor.  You jammed the log onto the end of the augor, brased it against
>a pipe that was mounted on the frame and let it rip.  I once failed to
>brase the log right, and the whole machine took off hopping and didn't

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: