I purchased a Drill Doctor drill bit sharpener several years ago.  It has to be
at least 6 or 7 years.  They had just come out on the market not too long
before I bought it.  The model that I bought was the one that would sharpen
drill bits up to 3/4".  It would make both standard and split point drills and
sharpen masonary bits.  I think it is a model 750.

I thought the unit was ok, but after a while I had some problems with it.
There are two chucks for holding the drill bits.  One is for bits up to 1/2"
and the other one is for bits on up to 3/4".  The 1/2" chuck fell apart and it
was a bear to get back together!  It has a bunch of fingers and little spring
clips that hold the fingers to the chuck.  It took me over an hour to get the
parts all back together at the same time.  Another issue was that the chuck
would not always rotate easily in the guide hole.  I tried numerous things to
solve this issue, with little in the way of positive results.

I called Drill Doctor's home company to see if I could purchase a new 1/2"
chuck and to inquire about the fitment problem.  I must have owned the machine
for about 4 or 5 years by this time.  The lady was extremely nice and asked me
a couple of questions about the machine itself.  I remember that one thing she
asked me was if the unit had a slide switch or a rocker switch on it.  I told
her that it had a slide switch.  She told me that there were some issues with
that model and they would send me a complete , new unit.  I gave her all my
address information and I recieved a new unit in less than a week.  All that I
had to do was pay a bit of shipping to send the old unit back to them.

Needless to say, I was shocked and thrilled!!!  The unit was way past its
warranty and I didn't expect them to do anything even close to replacing the
unit.  The new unit will do all the same things that the old one was supposed
to do, and it does it a lot better.  They have improved the way the chucks are
designed and the chucks fit and work properly in the ports on the eunit.

I am not convinced that it always sharpens bits as good as they were when new,
but it does a pretty good job.  Another good thing is that it is totally
accessible to a blind guy.

These are a must for anyone who uses bits a lot.  I can't say enough good
things about the company for standing behind their product.

Take care-- Mickey

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: