Hi Brice,
Using the 7014 rod I welded the uni body stiffeners in my El Camino and
they came out ok.
The good news is that they are in places folks would be hard pressed to see
the welds. My Son who is a sheep metal fabricator and who can write his
name on an aluminum beer can with a TIG machine told me my welds penitrated
well but they looked like a duck with the shits flew over the parts.

Are you familiar with the "Auto Darkening" line of welding helmets? When
you strike your arc, a photo-electric cell automatically darkens the helmet
face-plate.
The helmet has a control so that you can set the desired level of darkness.
At 04:14 PM 9/27/2006 -0700, brice mijares wrote:

>Making a weld without eye sight can be done.  Use a 70 series rod, which you
>can just drag across the seem.  70 series is what is called a low hydrogen
>rod.  I've down allot of welding with a 7014 rod.  This rod is used mostly
>in all High Rise Structures.  Have you ever heard, Making a weld in the
>Blind?  Well we sometime made welds in the blind just because it was just to
>much hassle to get in the correct position to see the weld.  Gas welding is
>another story, with no eye sight  it would be almost impossible to hold the
>flame in the same location long enough to get a puddle started, then you'd
>have to stick the filler material into the puddle  while moving the puddle
>along the area being welded.  Now that you know it can be done, ask me if
>I'd do it,and I tell you to fine someone that can see.  Or I'd direct you on
>how to do it.  I was a certified welder, and took to much pride in my
>welding, to do something that would look shitty.
>

>To listen to the show archives go to link
>  http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
>or
>ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/
>
>The Pod Cast address for the Blind Handy Man Show is.
>http://www.acbradio.org/news/xml/podcast.php?pgm=saturday
>
>The Pod Cast address for the Cooking In The Dark Show is.
>http://www.gcast.com/u/cookingindark/main.xml
>
>Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From
>Various List Members At The Following Address:
>http://www.jaws-users.com/handyman/
>Visit the new archives page at the following address
>http://www.mail-archive.com/blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com/
>For a complete list of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man
>list just send a blank message to:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>Yahoo! Groups Links

>--

Regards

Larry Stansifer

Toll Free 1 (800)-527-9572
Voice: 1 (435)-688-1391
Fax: 1 (435) 628-6981
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: