Hi,

I would add that there are compounds which have very close refractory
coefficients to glass which can be applied to scratched or chipped glass.
These are used on small damaged areas of wind shields for automobiles. We
have a couple of national franchised companies here in Canada which do this
and the repair is much cheaper than replacing a car window. I am sure you
have them in the United States and probably Australia as well. I don't know
if this would be a reasonable option for a magnifying glass depending on the
vision of the user I suppose, the repair is not absolutely invisible I am
told but darn close. Don't know if the cost would be worth it either, I
expect our local fellow would do it free for someone who, say needed it for
reading or something, one of the perks of really small town living.

Polishing a scratch out of a magnifying glass may alter the optical
characteristics of the magnification a little because the optical
characteristics depend on the shape of the curve so, removing a little of
the glass will change the angle of incidence at which the lite leaves the
glass. Again if used by someone with low vision for something like reading
this probably won't matter much unless one ends up polishing a significant
flat spot. This is precisely how one goes about polishing and fabrication of
mirrors and lenses when they make their own home made telescopes, hours and
hours of circular motion of cutting compounds over the surface of the glass
until it is very precisely ground hollow in the middle to focus light
gathered from a wide area toward a focal point effectively magnifying and
increasing the light density at that point so it is more visible. Unless the
scratch is very small you will want to grind glass off of a much larger area
of the lens to preserve the magnifying curve.

Interesting problem.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens