My advice (for what it's worth) is to be cautious about the sort of gutter
guards you attempt to install.  You can go to just about any reputable
hardware store and purchase disreputable gutter guards.  These would be the
sort that either come in three foot lengths and incorporate some sort of
screening mechanism to prevent the debris from piling up in the gutters or
the 50 foot role of six inch wide screening that also lays over the gutter
(placed under the lowest layer of shingles) to likewise keep debris out of
the gutters.  To the extent that these types of guards do keep debris out of
the gutters they do tend to work; instead the debris typically piles up on
top of the guards.  I installed three foot plastic guards on my home in
Wheaton and found that branches would somehow fall into the holes and get
stuck there.  Then leaves and seeds (along with other branches) would catch
on these "anchored branches" and create a real mess on the roof.

What I understand works really well are the type of guard that essentially
armors the gutter with a solid sheet of metal and is designed so that
leaves, branches, seeds, etc. slide off (because the guard material is flat)
while the water follows the design of the guard and drops into the gutter to
be flushed away as gravity dictates.

looking at these types of guards from the side view they appear something
like a numeral "7" laying on its' side so that the top of that "7" is
pointing down into the gutter while the vertical leg of this "7" forms a
seamless surface with the roof itself.  The idea is that adhesion causes the
water to trickle down the top of the "7" into the gutter while debris slips
right over the edge.  But again, there are excellent versions of this type
of guard and types that don't quite get the job done.  You do want the type
of guard that feels like a grainy surface because these "grains" help debris
to not stick whereas the smooth surface types tend to "hold" on to some
smaller debris.

Unfortunately, the good guards are likely not available at your neighborhood
Menard's, Lowes or Home Depot.  They are typically sold by approved
contractors and so are much more expensive than the guards you can buy and
install yourself.  But The fact of the matter is that the ones you can
install yourself only change the nature of the problem rather than solve it
so that would only be throwing money away.  I know this from personal
experience.

Bill Gallik
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will
be sitting next to you saying "Damn...that was fun!"

Visit The New Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following Address: