Hi All
Dyco RT10045 Router Table
Review

The router has become an invaluable and diverse woodworking tool in the modern
woodworker's workshop. It can perform tasks that were previously only possible
with a bunch of hand tools and a LOT of time!

As routers became more and more popular, so did the need for mounting them
upside down in a router table to further expand their versatility, essentially
creating a psuedo-shaping machine.

Now there are many router table manufacturers on the market selling everything
from basic table and fence setups, to fully-blown routing stations capable
of many different shaping and cutting tasks. One of the newer tables on the
market is manufactured and sold by Dyco International, and some of its features
solve some of the common problems with other router table designs.

We acquired a prototype model from Dyco to undertake this review, so let's get
into it.

Note: This review is compiled on the basis of a prototype unit received from
Dyco. As such, features or specifications may differ in the final retail unit
you may purchase. Where possible we have included in the following review,
notes where the final model may differ from this prototype unit in regards to
features or specifications. Note also that guards have been removed in some
photos for better clarity. Use safety guards and devices at all times when
woodworking.

Dyco RT10045 Router Table
Like most similar router tables on the market, the RT10045 ships in component
parts requiring assembly. A user manual was not delivered with this prototype
unit (as it was still in production) but I was able to easily assemble the
table without requiring it. It is mostly just a process of attaching the legs
and support braces to the bottom of the table cabinet/skirt. Then attach the
fence assembly with the two securing screws and attach the table extension
wings, one of each side.

You will, of course, need to supply your own router to mount under the table. A
table-mounted router should be quite powerful, as it will likely be undertaking
some more serious shaping tasks. At minimum, you should have at least a 2HP
router with variable speed control capabilities that is able to take 1/2" shank
router bits. Extra depth extension is always a handy asset to have as well, as
you invariably lose some depth capacity because of the thickness of the
table itself. I used the Triton 3.25HP router. It is one of the best-designed
routers for table use made to date and very powerful for this kind of
table-mounted
application. There are many other good routers from other manufacturers you
could use too.

 Attaching the router is quite simple. Supplied with the table are two mounting
clamps. These clamp to the base of your router and you can generally configure
them to clamp just about any router without obstruction. I was able to
successfully clamp 3 different routers into the table without too many problems,
although the Triton router was only able to be mounted one way as the router's
handles would rub or hit the router table cabinet when the table was lowered
back to its flat position. Nonetheless, it does fit in, in one way, and it
works fine. In application, the clamps seem to hold the router quite well,
providing
a little piece of mind that your router wont fall to the earth, or to a hard
concrete floor! For extra security, perhaps a third clamp could have been
introduced into the design to form a 3-point, triangular clamp arrangement
around the router, but again, the 2-clamp setup seems to work fine so far. Just
check the clamps occasionally to ensure they are still tight. Routers can cause
a lot of vibration and tend to loosen screws they are in contact with over
time.

Mounting the router brings us to the first feature discussion of the table, and
that is the tilting table. When standing at the front of the machine, the
table (which is constructed of cast iron and quite heavy!) can be lifted up and
anchored in its up-tilted position to mount the router or access it easily.
There are varying height/angle stops on the table's supporting arm to hold the
table in three positions. I found the lower position not to be terribly
practical as it only gives you minimal clearance between the table and the
cabinet to access the router. The higher two notches are better. You have to
be careful here also. With the heavy table resting on the support arm, you need
to make sure the table is fully engaged in one of the stop notches that
hold the table in the upright/tilted positions. Remember that your arms and
fingers are going to be in between the table and the bottom cabinet, and if
the table happens to drop unexpectedly, you could be nursing a very serious
injury. The support arm does hold the table weight satisfactorily but you need
to ensure it seats in the holding notch properly for some insurance. It can
sometimes be a little difficult to slide it in. You can adjust the "tightness"
of the support arm so that it will engage a little easier into the notch by
adjusting the screw/nut that hold the arm in place, but don't make it too loose!
When in the upright position, you do have plenty of access space to the router
to make adjustments or to change router bits etc. If you have the Triton
router installed, then above the table bit changes are possible with this
router/table combination, although you will still need to access the router to
raise the collet nut up above the table surface. This table does not have a
router raising feature, so router height adjustments must be done under the
table. The advantage of the tilting table however is that it allows you to
sight bit height without having to bend down to eye level if it remained in
the flat, horizontal position.

A switch is mounted on the side of the cabinet "skirt". Your router plugs into
this switch, and with the router itself left on, the main switch (which is
a magnetic on/off type) provides master On/Off control. I am told that the
switch position will likely be moved to the front of the cabinet on the final
model, which is good as the switch is partially obstructed when you have the
table extension wings added.

I tested the main table for flatness using the best straightedge I have in the
workshop. For all intensive purposes, the router table was indeed flat across
its length, width and diagonals. There may have been the tiniest bit of light
shine through on the outer corner of one edge, but this was located behind
the fence and not really "in play". Even so, the margin of error was so small
that it would not really present a problem in use, even if it was located
on one of the "working" edges. The main cast iron table and top is well
machined and finished. Naturally, a good cleaning after un-packing and a liberal
dash of a good floor wax (without silicone) and a thorough buffing will help
prevent rust and provide a smooth glide surface for your wooden materials
to run over.

Included in the full router table package are two cast iron table extension
wings that bolt on to the left and right edges of the existing table. Adding
these wings brings the total table length to 1000mm, which offers plenty of
length for good workpiece support. The same 3/4" x 3/8" miter slot is milled
into the extensions to match the slot milled into the main table. Naturally,
you need to line up the extensions accurately to provide a straight, continuous
miter slot to use the miter gauge (or other jigs in). There is only a small
amount of "play" available in the mounting holes and getting the extensions
lined up did take me a little time, but I eventually got there and was able to
set them up for both level table accuracy and to provide an accurately aligned
miter slot. Be sure to clean the miter slots well to remove the packing grease
and apply a good lubricant (wax or spray) to allow smooth gauge operation.
On the prototype unit, the extension wing surfaces seemed to be stained. I'm
not sure why but I'm sure this issue will be resolved for the final retail
model. This did not affect overall performance however.

On to the miter gauge itself. A basic gauge is supplied with adjustment from 0
to 45 degrees in either direction in 1 degree marked increments. It too is
cast iron construction so there is no problem with flex whatsoever. There is a
crude indexing feature to be able to return the gauge to the 0 degree setting
quickly and easily, but setting of any other angle must be done by the eye.
There is no fancy angle stops you might find on a good miter gauge for the
table saw. On the router table however, such an angle stop feature for common
angles is not often necessary, at least it rarely is for me anyway. You can
of course lock down the gauge at any angle with the locking knob, and the cast
iron fence face has two pre-drilled holes to allow you to mount an auxiliary
fence, or any number of fence-type jigs you may want to attach to the gauge.
The miter slot bar underneath is not adjustable, but it fits the slot very
well with only very minimal free play side to side. Since the miter slot is a
standard size (3/4" x 3/8"), you can use other adjustable miter slot bars
or other miter slot gauges or jigs for greater accuracy or fit if you so
choose, so using your favorite table saw gauge shouldn't be a problem. The table
slot does not have the T-slot bottom however, so you may have to remove that
additional piece from your miter gauge first if it does indeed have a T-slot
fixing.

With regard to router bit clearance, the bit clearance hole in the table can
accept up to 90mm diameter router bits. For smaller diameter bits, a collection
of 3mm laser cut inserts are provided to offer workpiece support up around the
edges of the router bit. Supplied are 15mm, 35m, 55mm, and 70mm inserts,
so you will find an insert to closely match the diameter of most cutters
easily. The inserts are a clean fit into the insert relief in the table,
however,
they must be held down with the supplied screws to secure the insert. This
ensures the insert will not move during use, but the screws are perhaps not
my ideal way of securing the inserts. In fact, I have found that if you have a
nice and secure fitting insert that is flush with the table, you don't really
need to secure it down at all. It will not move in use, unless you happen to
have one too small for the cutter and it engages the insert, but this is almost
guaranteed to be detected when setting up the insert and router bit to begin
with. The issue with the securing screws is that they take time to add and
remove, and there is a chance of burring the heads with repeated fastening and
removing of the inserts. Plus, you need to remove the fence to remove the
inserts easily. On another router table I have, the inserts simply drop in and
engage against an indexing pin which prevents them from rotating in the
insert relief. This works much better in my opinion and the inserts only take a
second to add or remove. Nonetheless, the Dyco table inserts do achieve
the task they are designed to do, but perhaps this could be re-thought in the
future, simply from a "user-friendliness" (is there such a word?) point of
view. Just my opinion of course! There also appears to be a threaded hole
milled near the insert to use a guide pin, but there was no guide pin supplied
with the prototype model.

Moving on to the fence now, which is perhaps the most important aspect of a
router table. While a router table really only needs a straight edge for a fence
to make it "practical", well-designed fences with additional features make the
router table a more versatile tool. The fence bridge is again heavy cast
iron construction and a one-piece unit. This is nice as it is solid, heavy and
will not flex, bend or twist in use. Two clamp screws secure it down to
the table and macro adjustment is via slots milled into the bridge component
itself. The bridge can be screwed down into either of two screw holes milled
into the table, so you can set the bridge accordingly to set up fence distance
for different diameter router bits.

The fence components themselves are cut from thick steel and are very rigid.
There is one fence for the in-feed side and one for the out-feed side. Having
independent in-feed and out-feed fences allows the user to set them up for
trimming and edging tasks. For example, you can actually joint a piece of lumber
by offsetting the out-feed fence to accommodate for the trimmed edge, so it is
supported properly on the out-feed side. Micro adjustment is possible for
each fence, and a small knob at the rear of each provides the micro-adjustment
feature. A locking clamp above secures each fence in position to make cutting
or shaping passes. Each fence also has holes milled to attach a sub-fence, if
required. This can be handy as you can attach a higher, one piece fence with
an appropriately sized clearance hole for the router bit being used. Doing so
will also help align both the in-feed and out-feed fences so regular edge
shaping can be achieved more easily. By default, the in-feed and out-feed
fences cannot be moved toward each other, i.e. left or right when viewed from
the front of the table, so you cannot close the gap between the fences up so
they provide closer support to the router bit's edge. Using a sub-fence is
the way to get around this.

I have had another router table with a similar fence design previously, and I
had issues with fence flex. Thankfully, this table fence does not suffer from
the same problem. Once locked down, the fences are very rigid indeed, and they
remain square to the table surface when locked down throughout their range
of movement, which is important for accurate shaping and cutting work. Fence
height is slightly lacking for my tastes. While the height is probably average
for most commercial router table fences, you will need to make a sub-fence that
is a little higher if you wish to attach featherboards to hold workpieces
down, particularly if you wish to use a featherboard directly over the router
bit itself (which is generally where they are mostly used for hold-down
applications.
Despite this, I was, overall, quite happy with the fence itself. It seems quite
well made and most important of all, very rigid. It provides a base for
you to further enhance the possibilities via the use of specialized sub-fences.
But be aware in doing so, that you may limit the distance between fence
and bit that is achievable. I am considering drilling a third set of threaded
holes in the table to provide that little extra fence clearance when using
a sub-fence.

The other major feature of the bridge is the 100mm dust collection port. Yes
folks, finally there seems to be tables coming onto the market that recognize
the need for a large and effective dust port. Any 4" (100mm) dust collection
hose will attach to the rear of this port to provide high volume dust
extraction.
This has to be, in my opinion, one of the biggest selling points for this
router table. On previous tables I have used, the dust extraction port was
either
only 2" or 2 1/2" wide, or even smaller. While these worked to a degree, they
were still not what I consider an "effective" collection system for the router
table. The 100mm port is really the best part of this whole table, because it
will save you so much cleanup time and reduce dust exposure risks. In use,
and when attached to a good extractor (I use my 2HP extractor) this dust port
pretty much catches everything! I'd say over 90% easily, probably more with
basic edge shaping work. There is very little debris that seems to escape its
grasp. In addition, on the top of the dust port is a clamping mechanism for
attaching the table's safety guard. This is a plastic cover with lowers down in
front of the router bit, not only to help keep your fingers away from the
cutting bit, but also to help contain debris around the extraction zone and
ensure it gets directed into the vacuum created behind the fence. I suspect,
however, that because I have a prototype unit, the look and design of the guard
may change, so what you receive may not be like the "home-made" type of
guard you see in the photos. The guard can be moved up and down, and
inward/outward to suit most routing tasks. Again, and I feel I need to repeat
it through
excitement at something that actually works well... the 100mm dust port is a
godsend for this router table, and this port design is so simple and effective.
Perhaps the best thing since sliced bread... err veneer...

Router Table Accessories
Dyco manufacture and sell a number of accessories for this table that add to
its versatility and ease of use;

Wheel Kit
Firstly, there is a wheel kit. I have not seen, nor used this kit before, but I
thought I'd mention it anyway. According to their website, the wheel kit
simply fits under two of the legs on one side of the table. You then lift the
other side off the ground and wheel the table around the shop. As I have
not seen or used this accessory, I cannot comment more.

Bottom Dust Chute
Next we have an addition to the dust collection capabilities of the table. So
dust collection above the table seems pretty darn good you say?? What about
collection below the table? Well, the Dyco router table, as you can see, has a
skirt "cabinet", but by default, the bottom is open to the world. Dust that
escapes below the table will eventually fall to the floor below. The Dyco
solution is simply to attach a dust hood with a 4" (100mm) port to the bottom
of the skirt, effectively fully enclosing the "cabinet". With a dust port now
both above and below the table, you can maximize collection. In fact, the
only dust that seems to escape this table is that small amount which may
settle, or be pulled by suction onto the upper surfaces of the router attached
below the table, usually around the router collet. An occasional lifting of the
table and a quick blast of compressed air around the router takes care
of that however. With both the above and below dust collection ports, the Dyco
folks have truly produced a collection system that works for the router
table. It is again one of the highlights of this table and a definite selling
point, and point for consideration when making a purchasing decision. The
only time you may really have a problem is if you are routing without the fence
(and associated dust port) attached or in use. This may include tasks like
raised panel routing or guided pin routing. In these cases, use of an accessory
like the
Dust Picker
will help solve those collection issues.

Drum Sander
The drum sanding attachment clamps to the underside of your router table and
allows you to clamp a regular power drill (via its collar) so you can use it
as a stationary power tool. With an appropriate drum sanding attachment for the
drill, it converts the drill into a convenient drum sanding machine. While
not strictly a routing accessory as such, it is nonetheless useful if you have
a need for it. You can of course also mount other drill-type attachments
like flap sanders or small grinding attachments, or wheel buffs for polishing.
Basically, you can use any attachment in the drill and have the drill mounted
securely to the table.

Table Extension
When working with larger pieces that require extra support, the table extension
accessory provides a larger table footprint. It attaches to the front of
the router table via two milled holes using extension bars which clamp
underneath the table. The extension support is solid and works by providing a
supporting
surface at a distance further out from the front of the main table. It helps in
preventing objects from rocking or tilting off the main table if they are
large and heavy or unbalanced by adding a support that can extend up to 200mm
outward. When not in use, you can slide it in to move it out of the way,
so it's always available and ready to go, not like an attachment that you have
to add in and remove each time you need to use it.

Overall Impressions
Being a prototype model, the final retail model may differ slightly, and will
hopefully improve a little in some of the minor "shortcomings" mentioned above.
The table on a whole seems to do the job well, although you may need to make a
few modifications of your own (i.e. sub-fences, extra threaded table holes,
use a different miter gauge etc) to make it truly a versatile and accurate
router table. It will handle all basic routing tasks very well. For more
specialized
tasks, some additions will need to be made by the end user, although this is
not really different from most other router tables on the market. None are
really perfect in all aspects and applications.

As mentioned above, the dust collection features are the real highlight, and I
would definitely choose this table over another with similar features that
isn't designed with dust collection in mind.

With a street price of around AUD$600, the Dyco router table is priced
similarly to other cast iron router tables on the market. A good router table
will
last you a very long time, so it's worth investing some money in one that will
last. Be sure to check all your options in your budget range, but as a quick
synopsis, you should consider the Dyco if your main considerations are:
List of 3 items
* Dust Collection
* Tilting table
* Independent in-feed/out-feed fences
list end

As a side note, the table and fence is also available on its own if you prefer
to make your own stand. Model number for this is RT5745BM (street price around
AUD$400).

For more information, or to contact Dyco direct (for availability/compatibility
in your country etc), their website can be found at
www.dycointernational.com

This message and its attachments may contain legally
privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the
information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the e-mail.

Any content of this message and its attachments which
does not relate to the official business of Eraring Energy
must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by
Eraring Energy. No warranty is made that the e-mail or
attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.