Thanks, Dale.  I went to the Lee Valley website and found the planes you're
talking about.  I'll be ordering one of them today.

You're right... There's something quite satisfying about using hand tools
for such things as shaping an edge of wood.  Certainly, power tools are more
versatile, in some ways quicker, etc.  But, there's a good feeling
associated with that nice little curly-cue of wood planed from a piece of
wood.

Some years ago, I built a 4-poster bed for Phyllis and I.  It turned out
well, if I must say so myself.  The posts are approx six and a half feet
high and, by using a jig on the table saw, I tapered and chamfered them.
There's approximately 4 and a half feet above the side, front and rear rails
of the bed... Which, themselves, are about 8 inches in height.  Then there's
about 12 inches below the rails.  This section of post is also tapered and
chamfered... But tapering in the opposite direction of that portion of the
post above the rail.  The section of post where the rail meets it is not
tapered or chamfered... I left it square.  Anyway, I wanted to ad a curve to
each chamfer where it meets the rail section of the post... Maybe just 3 or
4 inches in length.  I couldn't figure out how to do this blind, so I took
the posts to my brother-in-law's workshop, where he added the 8 little
curves to each post... 4 below the rail section, and 4 above... Using a band
saw.  I'm taking a long time to tell the story.  My brother-in-law is
enamored with old hand tools.  He rarely uses them, but has a nice little
collection.  Before using the very convenient band saw to cut the curves, we
were tempted to use a two-handled draw-blade to hand cut the curves into the
posts.  But, the draw-blade was rather dull, and would have required more
skill with our hands than either of us possessed.  Yet, there is something
quite intriguing about shaping a piece of wood in the same manner used by
craftsmen centuries ago.  I can just picture the age-old carpenter
straddling the post, drawing his blade toward himself and shaping nice
little curves of interest into each chamfered corner of each wood post.  The
band saw can, of course, do this quicker, with significantly more repetitive
accuracy.  But, there's some charm, character and satisfaction lost in the
power tool process.
Once upon a time, craftsmen in wood were true craftsman.  They understood
more about different blades, their purposes, their maintenance, and methods
for using them than I'll ever know.

--Barry