From: "Dale Leavens" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, January 13, 2007 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] TV stand

Why glass?

These are shelves with equipment covering them. They won't really be all
that visible. Usually you use glass shelves either to make a piece look very
light or in a display type situation. Glass wants a lot more fussy cleaning
too in order to keep looking good, dust and finger prints and all that. More
commonly people like to hide that sort of technology away.

My preference would be wood and maybe even just solid wood trimmed veneer
plywood. Oak covered half inch with a solid bread board trim on the front
edge or possibly a slatted shelf to contribute to ventilation.

Of course style and taste are probably the keys. A 24 inch shelf though
wants pretty good glass. Plastic, if that is your choice will scratch fairly
easily even the very high grade Lexan. Horizontal applications will tend to
hold dust and/or grit and will be even more prone to scratches which will
reduce the attractiveness fairly quickly.

Again this is purely taste , purely opinion.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens