limited uses, but can be worth it.
For instance:
When I buy a manufacturer's male RCA plug; and it is not "tip mounted" by
the barrel of the plug...
that means the barrel has to slide up the wire which is being terminated.
If the I.D. of the barrel is too small, it s often due to a lip on the
edge of the barrel which narrows it to the I.D. of the actual jack. Well
the jack doesn't have to cover but an inch of the wiring, and the shield
can be crimped. But by time you add heat shrink, outside braid and
labelling, that final end can be kinda thick.
I have this bit for the drem, which is pair shaped.
I slide the shank into the barrel, attach it to the drem and turn it on,
with the barrel in a vice.
I sssslo o o oly draw the grinding bit through the back end of the barrel
and when it passesit is very clean.
I've been told that the gold plate isn't even chipped unless you magnify.
But you can be sure it and the metal lip are *gone gone.
I can then slide the back end of the barrel up the nearly fully assembled
cabling; and work with some room on soldering the cables into place.
Then slide the barrel down, and move everything into place and one last
heat shrink will cover.
If the cable is ever repaired by another, I'd hate for them to say, "he
just ground the end of it off, and the copper is all green."
That's my necessity,
Other things, it's okay to have it around, for tiny but rough work unless
you are good with them.