Well, after weeks of work, the floor is still not done.  As a refresher,
we purchased the pre-finished oak hardwood floor and carried ten 60 pound
boxes up the four flights of steps and along the courtyard and stacked
them in the living room to acclimatize.

Then we moved most of the furniture and the boxes of flooring into the
dining room and ripped up the carpeting.  We were quite dismayed to find
some old linoleum in huge sheets under the rug.  After cutting out a
corner I was suspicious of asbestos and was worried when Teresa's
brothers, who are contractors, thought the same.  I had it tested and it
came up negative for asbestos.

The backing of the linoleum was a flaky fibrous material that was pretty
itchy so we went through the same process as if it were asbestos.  We
sealed off the room and put on full tyvek suits, booties, gloves, hoods,
and masks.  We ripped out the linoleum sealed it in super heavy duty
plastic bags and put it outside.

We then spent the rest of that day, and the entire next day, wetting and
scraping down the floor trying to remove as much of the itchy stuff and
the adhesive.  We actually did quite a decent job.

All last week, I would come home from work and spend a couple of hours
doing battle with the tiles in my fireplace.  A small sledge and chisel
worked well, but the tiles around the middle of the fire box were pretty
stubborn.  Many of them shattered or sheared off and I had to nibble away
at them.

This past Saturday we picked up six sheets of quarter inch plywood / luan,
a roll of rosin paper, and a spiffy new neumatic stapler.  Over the period
of Saturday and Sunday we thoroughly cleaned the floor, screwed down any
squeaky boards, rolled out the paper, and stapled down the plywood.  It is
not a perfect job as the room is definitely not square, or rectangular,
Hell, for a while I thought it might have been a pentagon with as badly as
the walls were out of square.  We had to do a couple of cut-outs to go
around the fireplace.

I was definitely having too much fun with the stapler.  Lord have mercy on
the poor bastards who attempt to take up the floor some time in the
future.

We trimmed and laid out the first couple of courses of oak where there is
a 43 inch wide arched opening between the living room and dining room.
The arch is actually 18 inches thick and we are splitting the difference
with the wood going half way into the 18 inches, and then the rug for the
dining room starting from there.

This is not the best way to start, but we didn't want to start from the
other end of the room since we are still waiting on the decision whether
or not to rip out the radiator on that wall.

So, tonight I will nail down the first couple of boards and will really
get rolling starting tomorrow night.

I know Teresa really wants to get this done, and next weekend would
definitely see us finished, except I have already made plans for a winter
back packing trip and since I am one of the trip leaders, I can't back out
now.

I'll keep folks informed on how the real floor progresses.

  --
Blue skies.
Dan Rossi