Face nail the first course as near the wall as possible. You may even wish
to rip the groove off to get that bit closer and still have good wood to
nail through and not split or damage the surface.

The second course you can nail through the tongue on an angle with a hammer.
You are correct, drilling will make this go a lot easier. You are
essentially duplicating the nail driver. Use a drill a little smaller than
the gauge of the nail so that it is less likely to slide and squeak.

Care must be taken not to damage the surface of the board when hammering.
Use a suitable nail set or reversed nail. The angle does not have to be
precise, sharp enough to come out the bottom of the board beyond the tongue
will do.

You never worry about driving the boards too far along, this is the main
reason why even a pneumatic floor nailer will usually want you to initiate
the shot with a mallet. It sets the board closer and tighter to it's
neighbour.You may wish to tack a cleat or two to the floor to use as a point
to assist bracing the new board tight to what is already installed when hand
nailing.

Remember, wood plank floors have long preceded those fancy nailers.

Enjoy.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens