Good morning,

This is directed primarily to those of you with the VIP talking thermostat.

About three weeks ago this unit just quit talking one day. My wife noticed it
got down to something like 15C with another thermometer we have here. It seems
that the temperature control was working as she pressed the "up" button and
after a time the temperature climbed way up there, mostly she didn't know the
setting because while pushing the button there was no feedback and no way to
know where starting from, actually no way to know it was even responding.

>From work I told her to just switch the system off with the sliding switches.
>When I got home I removed the batteries and tested them. they were reading in
>the range 1.42 to 1.47V which I thought should be acceptable. When I replaced
>the batteries though the VIP came back to life registering a time something
>just beyond midnight but it seemed to have remembered the day and the
>programmed settings.

This morning when we got up the VIP wasn't talking again and it had stuck on
the night time setting of 16C so far as I can tell, up stairs where we sleep
with a window open it was reading 14.9 on the thermometer up there and 59F on
the little one down here on the kitchen counter. VIP was silent and I could not
get him talking until I again removed the batteries. Being only three weeks old
I didn't change them just replaced them and VIP again began talking. Seems to
have remembered all the settings but the time which it assumed to be about 9
hours ago.

VIP spoke to me last thing on my way up stairs last night at around the time it
reported when I put the batteries back in this morning but I don't remember for
sure reporting that it was 21C and that the setting was the night time one of
16C.

Has anyone else experienced this sort of behavior? I have had this installed
and running since the end of October or the first of November of 2005 and to
this point this seems to be the first trouble but it is significant and
worrying, I would be a very unhappy camper if my pipes were to freeze on an
overnight trip. I could of course and now probably will instal a parallel
back-up thermostat to override this one in the case of a failure nevertheless
it is disappointing.

I have not yet contacted the manufacturer, I thought I would first see if
anyone else is having similar experiences.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens

http://us.click.yahoo.com/hOt0.A/lOaOAA/yQLSAA/86xolB/TM