I am combining replies to a few e-mails under this subject in this one
e-mail, so please read down.

Larry,
There is no handling loss when towing properly with a front wheel drive
vehicle.  You will experience handling problems when there is to much tongue
weight on the back of the vehicle no matter if it is front or rear wheel
drive.  The tongue weight should not exceed 15% of the trailer weight.  The
ideal weight is 10% of the trailer's weight, but not more than the max
tongue weight rating of the vehicle, or more then the Gross axle weight
rating (GAWR).
Towing capacity is important, but not the only thing that you need to look
at.
If your towing capacity was 7500 lbs, what kind of combine gross vehicle
weight rating (CGVWR) did the ram have?
camper weights are dry weights.  You need to add to that the weight of the
water, propane, and everything else you might have loaded the camper up with
before traveling.
Donner is a big "hill", mountains in general can put a strain on vehicles
that are just loaded with people and luggage, and no trailer.  When towing
up big hills, you should turn off your air conditioner.  The a/c compressor
robs horse power from the engine.

Robert,
Some of the mini SUV are now uni-body.  I know for sure the Escape is, but
not sure on the GMC line of products, I will check my mom's blazer this
weekend, unless you know for sure it has a frame.
Both framed and uni-bodied vehicles are fine for towing.  With framed
vehicles you will possibly have a higher tow rating.
yes the Chrysler minivans are uni-body, as well as the GMC minivans, not
sure on the Ford ones.  I would assume all minivans are uni-body.
Uni-bodies have lower curb weight, which gives you higher mpg, and uni-body
vehicles tend to have a better ride then framed vehicles.
For what it sounds like Jennifer is going to be doing, towing a small
utility trailer, or a small popup camper, either uni-body or frame would be
okay in my opinion.
sounds like one of her concerns is fuel mileage, for that she should stick
to uni-body vehicles, and avoid big 4 door pickups.  Friend's 2000 Ford F150
extended cab gets 9-10 mpg in town.
I wouldn't say that frame is better then uni-body, or front wheel is better
then rear wheel.  I think it depends on what your going to use it for.
My 2005 Town & Country has a higher tow rating then my 2004 Ford Escape did.
Not sure what my tow rating was on my 03 sable, but I know I exceeded it
several times.  All uni-body, and no problems.

Victor,
I am not sure about the new vans coming with hybrid capabilities or not.  go
to www.edmunds.com and you can do a lot of research on them.
I would personally not go with a hybrid vehicle.  Now the 240 HP 4.0l V6
they are putting in the new 08 T&C's with a 6 speed automatic sounds pretty
interesting.
yes, they are safe, I think all 5 star ratings except the roll over rating
is a 4 star.
The stow and go is great, especially since we have a 10 month old daughter,
and we take our dog with us everywhere.

Jennifer,
My advice would be to go to a car dealer and sit in and test drive a few
different options for cars, minivans, and mini SUVs and see what you like.
It don't matter how much you can tow or put in the vehicle if you can't
stand to ride in it.
Some RV dealer ships also have vehicles hooked up to trailers so you can
test drive them and see how well they tow.
Make sure to check with your insurance company for rates when you get it
narrowed down.  vehicles in the same class can have very different insurance
rates, and they may effect how much you want to spend on a car.
I can help you do some research, or you can find lots of info at
www.edmunds.com and www.epinions.com

Michael