-----Original Message-----
From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mick
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 5:53 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] Portable ramps for wheelchair access

Betsy,

In my opinion, i think the one inch per foot slope for ramps is way too gradual
in many instances.
This can make it totally impractical to do in some instances, especially in a
home.  Wouldn't a
better rule of thumb in your circumstance be to put in any ramp at all that
could be negotiated by a
wheelchair regardless of guidelines.  It just seems to me that it would be more
important to have
some sort of ramp that is practical and manageable, rather than no ramp at all
or one that you can't
live with.  In other words, steeper might be better here.