Jerry,
Well, not to be nasty, but you spent too much time saying not
very much and not enough time on asking what you really wanted.
<GRIN>

However what i assume, always a questionable practice, you want
is access to stand alone music syhthesizers similar to what
sightlings have.

I don't say it can't be done, but it is entirely non trivial  the
basis of the problem lies in the fact that commercial
synthesizers use proprietary microcontrollers which run
proprietary displays.  The info you want exists in the
proprietary programming of these devices and is just not
available in any way that's easilly interpreted for us.

A number of years ago, at least ten I think, folks from Tim
Kranmer's old
bureau for the blind of Kentucky labs took a commercial synth and
got in between the controller and the display.  They built an
entirely new microcontroller system whose job was to re-interpret
the signals that drove the display and send text equivelents to a
speech synthesizer.

so far as I know it worked fine, but since the life span of
commercial synthesizers is short, it didn't stay out there long.

Unfortunately if we wanted such devices we'd have to re-invent
this very difficult wheel every time manufacturers changed
models.

the "right' way would be to convince manufacturers to provide
equivelents to displayed information on some standard port for
external interpretation.  I've been spending much of my 25 year
career as a rehab engineer trying to do just that job and look
where it's gotten me! Nowhere at all!

If you wanted to become an electrical
electronics/computer/musicsynth engineer, you could homebrew one,
but it would cost you many times what a commercial synth would
cost and probably never be as good.

The answer is computer based systems,  period

others can tell you far better than i which such
software/hardware is most accessible, but unless Jay Williams or
someone else more knowledgable tells me different, that's the
answer.

We've tried convincing manufacturers of electronic equipment to
make the needed info available via some standard port for years,
they just don't care.

We've worked on devices to read displays with a camera, it is not
technologically feasible yet.

the answer is computers whether we like it or not

Tom Fowle
Embedded Systems Developer/ Rehab engineer
Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
2318 Fillmore St.
San Francisco, CA 94115
415-345-2123 (Voice)
[EMAIL PROTECTED]