Guys,

Keep in mind I have no idea what the hell I am talking about
when it comes to that wood stuff however, something came to
mind when you were discussing pipe clamps.
I am not exactly certain how they are configured but let me
throw something out and see if it floats.

A very commonly used product in automotive fabrication is
thick walled tubing. it is seamless and ranges in diameter
from 1/2 to 2inch plus.
It is lite, extremely strong and strait. The last stick  I
bought was 20feet long, 3/4inches in diameter and cost me
less than a $100.00.

I used it to build the rear suspension for the El camino as
well as having to make some small spacer brackets for the
rack and pinion steering.

My thought was that you guys could take this stuff, cut it
into manageable lengths, and thread the inside diameter so
that you could join pieces together as needed.

If I am full of Sierra hotel India tango let me know and I
will crawl back under Carol's Corvette where I belong.

Regards

Larry Stansifer