Sorry, its a drywall hole with a pannel covering it. Yes, the meter
etc. is on an exterior wall and its got some insulation backing it
up. The meter is now one that is read via radio, but it still has an
analog meter. Oddly enough, I had to loosen the meter setup and flip
it over so when I go to close the wall, I can then put a pannel back
over the hole. The town hired a contractor to install the meters and
he didn't pay attention to how much would hang out and prevent me
from putting a cover on it. I made them come out and correct the
problem, but they couldn't So, the town sent the engineer and he
wouldn't do much since he really couldn't cut pipe straps etc. So,
after he told me off the record I could do this and adjust things and
restrap, I did and problem solved.
So, the end result is to reduce the hole so you can easily reach the
valves, but not have this big hole, just a small access pannel deal.

Scott