From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Ray Boyce
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 3:24 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Painting Kitchen Cupboards

Hi Everyone
A little sighted help here is needed but cheaper than buying a new kitchen
Painting Kitchen Cabinets

Cabinets are usually the most prominent feature of a kitchen and greatly
determine the room's overall décor. Peeling paint, nicks and scratches, or a

dull,
dirty finish can plague older cabinets and really sap the pizzazz out of the

living space. On the other hand, a fresh coat of paint can do wonders for
cabinets and breathe new life into the kitchen. A repainting project can
also save tons of money when compared to full
cabinet
replacement, which can easily total several thousands of dollars..
Some repainting jobs are relatively simple. Your situation may only call for

some light sanding, a thorough washing, and a new coat of paint to renew the
color that already exists on the cabinets. This is a fairly straightforward
procedure that requires you to remove the
hardware
and doors, and secure yourself a dust-free location for painting and drying
the doors (the carcass can be painted in place). In this case, the actual
paint
application probably won't take longer than a weekend, although drying time
may take longer. If the project only requires a fresh coat of paint, then
consider
yourself lucky; a complete refinishing job takes a lot more time and effort.

This article covers a cabinet painting project where we stripped and/or
sanded the factory finish off a set of MDF cabinets and covered them with
primer
and an oil-based paint. Here's how we eliminated an old, ugly finish and
replaced it witha fresh coat of bright white.

This cabinet painting project was part of a complete kitchen remodel. First
we painted the walls a chocolate brown. To offset the dark brown, we painted
the cabinets white.

Getting Started

You'll need a drill/driver to pop off the cabinet doors and unscrew all the
hinges, handles and knobs. The brass hardware on the cabinets was very
dated,
so we discarded the old stuff to replace later with new chrome hardware. If
you plan to reuse the old hardware, then make sure to store all the loose
components
and fasteners in a bucket while you paint.

Remove the doors and all hardware. Label the doors by number to keep track
of their placement.

If you have many doors of dissimilar sizes, then label them with painter's
tape. The cabinets in this project had 15 doors of various dimensions, so we
labeled them by number to avoid confusion when reinstalling.

Next, fill any dings or dents in the
wood
with non-shrinking putty. Most types of putty are very hard once they dry,
so remove as much excess as possible. And if you plan to use new hardware
with
different fastener locations, then go ahead and fill the old screwholes with

putty, too. Once the putty has dried, the repaired areas can be sanded
smooth.

You will need to set up a work area, because removing the old finish is
going to be a messy job. You'll need to arrange a large, flat surface to
work on
the doors. Use plenty of drop cloths to protect anything you don't want
exposed to wood dust or paint stripper. Some paint strippers may also
require open-air
ventilation.

Removing the Old Finish

As with any painting job, prepping the surface is critical for any hope of
success. The cabinets in this project were made of MDF with a faux wood
finish,
which was blistered and wearing away in various places. I wanted to
completely eliminate this old finish to guarantee a good bond for the new
paint. You
can remove the finish by stripping the paint with a chemical or sanding the
doors down to bare wood. There are pros and cons to both methods. I tried
both
methods.

One option for removing the old finish is to brush on a paint stripper.

Stripping-If you choose to use a paint stripper, make sure your product is
intended for this particular application. The product I used was called
Soy-Gel,
which I've had lying around my shop for a couple of years. The label said it

was appropriate, so I gave it a whirl. I brushed it on thickly-a coat about
1-millimeter thick-and allowed it to work its magic on the cabinet door
surface. I found it to be some pretty powerful stuff. After about 5 minutes
you
could see a definite discoloration in the surface as the Soy-Gel chemically
broke down the finish. Twenty minutes later, the old finish was dissolved,
and the stripper was ready to be scraped away. Use a putty knife, furniture
scraper or stripping brush to remove the gooey material and discard it into
a plastic bag for disposal. Again, this process is very messy, so use drop
cloths, rubber gloves, and have plenty of rags handy for the inevitable
cleanup.
The Soy-Gel product is very viscous, so when you scrape it off, it comes up
in big, sloppy globs. However, it does a good job; after a single
application
I could scrape away the old finish and see the bare MDF wood fiber beneath
it. The stripped surface still required a little finish-sanding, but most of
the work was done by the paint stripper.

After about 20 minutes, the stripper had dissolved the old finish and was
ready to scrape away.

Stripping brushes work well for removing the stripping product from curves
and profiles.

Sanding-In lieu of paint stripper, sanding away the old finish is also a
messy chore-but it's a dry mess. No sticky, goopy liquid, just lots of dust
deal with, so wear a dust mask and safety glasses. For this method, clamp
the door to the work surface and use a random orbital sander with a
medium-grit
sandpaper to remove the old paint or finish down to bare wood. The printed
finish on these particular cabinets evidently contained some sort of plastic
material, because as I sanded my abrasive pad was constantly accumulating a
plastic buildup. It was so extensive that the sanding disc would spin on the
plastic buildup without allowing the abrasive surface to contact the wood.
This meant I was continually replacing discs-at least 1 disc per door. It
also
takes a while to completely remove the finish, and the constant tool
vibration can get tiring after a while. However, on the plus side, if you do

it outdoors
or use a sander with a vacuum dust-collection system, the process is much
less messy than stripping.

You can bypass the stripper in favor of a random orbital sander.

Combination-After trying both, I determined that neither method was
particularly fun or easy, and both are very time-consuming. But I ultimately

decided
to use a combination of the two methods for this project. Because my
stripping product was so viscous, it would stick to vertical surfaces
without dripping
much. So I used the stripper on the cabinet carcass, where otherwise using
the power sander in an upright position would have been exhausting. But to
avoid
the sticky mess of the stripper, I used a power sander to strip the doors,
which I could place on a workbench in a comfortable sanding position.

Finish Sanding

Once the original finish has been completely removed, you should finish-sand

the wood to achieve a very smooth surface. Start with 150-grit sandpaper,
and
then move to 180-grit. The fully prepped surface should be clean, dry, dull
and smooth. Remove all wood dust with a tack cloth. Do not use water to
remove
the dust and do not wet sand. With many types of wood-and MDF is
particularly bad about this-water will raise the fibers and ruin the sanding

job you just
completed.

When sanding edges and curves, you have options. Some tool manufacturers,
such as Skil, offer electric finish sanders with specially shaped sanding
profiles
that match or conform to common curves and irregular shapes. Or, you may opt

to hand sand using sandpaper backed by a sponge. Some woodworkers even
create
their own custom sanding profiles for specific jobs. Not me; I used a finish

sander and sponge pad.

Here's another tip: Because the routed edges of MDF tend to be rough and
porous (as with the hard-to-reach inside edges of frame-and-panel doors), I
prep
these areas with a thin coat of vinyl spackle. Just wipe the spackle onto
the areas you can't easily access with sanding tools. Use a damp,
short-bristled
brush to remove any excess before it hardens. Once it cures, sand it with a
sanding sponge and you'll have a smooth surface to prime and paint.

Smooth the hard-to-sand edges of MDF cabinets by applying a thin coat of
vinyl spackling. Allow it to dry, remove any excess and you're ready to
prime.

Picking Paints

In general, latex paints are considered easier to use than oil-based because

they dry quickly and clean up with water. But for kitchen cabinets I prefer
oil-based paint because it forms a harder, more durable topcoat and levels
out to a very smooth finished surface. As far as cure time, oil paints will
take longer to dry initially (roughly 24 hours per application). However,
latex paints will take longer than oil-based paints to fully cure to a hard
finish
(as much as three weeks), and in the meantime can be susceptible to damage.
For example, when the doors are re-installed on the cabinets, the uncured
latex
paint can stick together where two surfaces meet. To avoid this you might
have to leave your doors off for quite a while. However, with proper
application
and cure time, either type of paint will achieve a quality finish. If you
opt for latex paint, make sure to use 100-percent acrylic formulation, which
is more durable than vinyl acrylic paints.

I used Kilz brand oil-based primer and an alkyd/oil-based paint on the MDF
cabinets. Be sure to strain the primer and paint before loading the paint
sprayer.

How to Apply

After selecting your paint, the next big question: How to apply it? You can
get great results with a high-quality brush, but it will leave visible
bristle
marks. Most pros avoid painting with a nap roller because it leaves the
slightly mottled texture of the nap on the cabinet surface. A sprayed-on
finish
will achieve the smoothest finish coat. However, spraying the cabinet
carcass in place means having to cover everything else in the kitchen with
tape and
plastic, which can be cumbersome and time-consuming. And when paying a pro
to do the work, "time-consuming" equates to "expensive."

A high-velocity/low-pressure (HVLP) sprayer is a great way to apply primer
and paint.

DIY'ers can usually rent spray equipment from a local paint store or
home-improvement retailer. Or, you might be enticed to plunk down a little
money for
a user-friendly HVLP sprayer. For this project, I chose an HVLP sprayer to
paint the doors off site, but I brushed the paint onto the less visible
areas,
namely the carcass and cabinet framing.

I used Campbell Hausfeld's HV2000 sprayer, and it achieved an excellent
finish.

Prime Time

Of course, all good painting starts with priming, so begin the process with
a coat of quality oil-based primer. For this project I used KILZ, which
dries
quickly and covers well. (Never use a water-based primer with MDF; it will
cause the fibers to swell for a bumpy surface.) If spraying, then follow the
manufacturer's instructions for configuring the sprayer and loading the
paint-it may require you to add paint thinner. Spray on the primer evenly,
covering
all surfaces completely to ensure top-notch adhesion of your paint coats.

After the primer has dried, lightly sand it with 180-grit paper to remove
any imperfections before applying the topcoats. One coat of primer should
suffice.
Use a tack cloth to wipe down the primed surface after sanding.

After the primer has dried, lightly sand the surface to a smooth finish.

After everything is prepped, primed and dried, it's time to apply the paint.

Clean out the paint gun, reload it with a quality oil-based interior paint
(strained through a filter), and go to town. Quality spray guns, such as the

Campbell Hausfeld HV2000 shown, allow you to dial in the gun's spray
pattern.
Choose a circular pattern, or a horizontal or vertical ellipse to maximize
your coverage. This prevents you from altering the way you hold the gun to
suit
the object being sprayed.

When using a sprayer, follow this fundamental spray stroke: Hold the gun 90
degrees to the surface, about 6 to 8 inches from the object. Starting 3
inches
away from the lower left-hand corner, depress the trigger until the paint
sprays outward. Move the gun across the work surface in a straight line
until
it is 3 inches past the edge. Make a second pass, overlapping the first by
50 percent. Move the gun fast enough to avoid accumulating puddles of paint.
Continue until full coverage is completed.

Next, you're ready to paint. Use plenty of drop cloths. I sprayed on two
coats of oil-based paint to each side of the doors, allowing the paint to
dry between
coats.

Allow the doors to dry overnight. When completely dry, paint the other side
of the doors. Bear in mind that you'll need to have secured a paint-friendly
area to do this job. I did most of my spraying on a screened porch, using
plenty of plastic drop cloths. This allowed plenty of open-air ventilation
for
drying, while the screens kept bugs and debris away from the wet paint. By
the time I finished painting, each door had two coats on both sides, and in
the meantime I had brush-painted the cabinet case in the kitchen.

For the cabinet case, I primed and painted it in place using a brush.

Re-Installing

The first step in re-installing the doors was replacing the hardware. The
new hinges and knobs were a slightly different size than the old stuff, so I

had
previously filled the holes and was dealing with a "like new" door surface.
The location of knobs or pulls boils down to looks and convenience, and
there's
not a hard-and-fast rule regarding where they go. To avoid splitting the
wood, avoiding installing them less than 1 inch from any edge of the door.
Beyond
that, where you place your knobs is up to you; just keep the location
consistent from door to door. A general rule of thumb is to locate them
within one-third
the height of the cabinet.

Use a combination square to make sure you keep the hinges and handles
consistently spaced when installing the hardware.

The same idea goes for the hinges: keep the locations consistent and
plumb-the hinges must swing open properly. Drill pilot holes for the screws
and fasten
all hinges, knobs, pulls or handles securely.

Drill pilot holes and then drive in the screws for the hardware.

Next, re-install the doors. You may find it helpful to recruit an extra pair

of hands to help you hold the door, the drill and the spirit level to make
sure the doors are level and plumb. Make sure your doors cover their
respective openings evenly; any offset to the right or left will be
noticeable and
will likely interfere with installing the next door in line.

Keep a quality carpenter's level handy; you'll need it when re-installing
the doors.

Hanging the doors is an easier job if you eliminate the spirit level in
favor of a laser level (you'll only need two hands instead of three). Spot
the level
laser line along the cabinet case, marking the top edge of the door
location. Line up the door and screw in place. Double-check with a spirit
level.

For this particular project I had the chance to test a really
state-of-the-art laser tool from Johnson Level. The company's Acculine Pro
Multi-Beam Self-Leveling
Laser Level is shaped like an egg and sits atop a small tripod. It
simultaneously projects four self-leveling cross laser lines plus one
down-beam. In
other words, it shot a level and plumb grid on the cabinet case, allowing me

to line up the top and one side of each door with the lasers. Totally cool
and futuristic.

One alternative to hand levels is the Acculine Pro laser level from Johnson
Level.

Granted, this tool is intended for professional contractors and might be too

expensive for the average DIY'er. Still, Johnson Level and Kapro Level both
have several other handy laser tools that fall more into the consumer price
range.

Johnson's Acculine Pro Multi-Beam Line Generator produced level and plumb
laser lines on the cabinet case to help line up the doors when
re-installing.

After all the doors were back up and adorned with the new chrome hardware,
the difference was amazing. The kitchen originally had puke green walls and
worn
out "faux" wood-grain cabinets. After painting the walls chocolate and the
cabinets a bright white (and re-laminating the countertops), the kitchen
appeared
to have time-warped into 2007. And while I had invested a lot of time and
labor, it only cost me a couple hundred bucks in paint and supplies. Mission
accomplished.

Once all the doors were back in place, we had the look of new cabinets at a
small fraction of the price.

Tools & Supplies

Black & Decker

www.blackanddecker.com