Now I don't usually scare easily but most applications for a router bit in a
drill press scares me, particularly with quarter inch shaft router bits. There
is no protection at all should a bit break and the height is just about where
you don't want it to be.

Except for very large bits mostly they are designed to cut at very high speeds
and with lateral force not something a drill press is designed for. The table
would want extending.

Finally there is the risk of getting appendages into the cutter. and dust
control.

Having said that, I have used flat bottom cutters for boring flat bottomed
holes on rare occasions and think I might again if ever I use those knock-down
fittings they use for connecting particle board parts together though a
forstner bit would work well too. Maybe multiple cuts to remove the bulk of
material for flush mounting escutcheons then finishing up with a sharp chisel,
a forstner bit would leave little circles and point holes but a flat bottomed
router bit would not.

Mostly though the speed and risk of breakage with that lateral pressure and
straying fingers would scare me.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens