Dale,
I have a friend who tried to use his band saw with a 3/4" wide blade and he was
very unhappy with the results.
A few years ago when we still received the Yankee Workshop, Norm was doing some
re-sawing. He had a special re-saw tool. This saw had a very wide blade,
several inches, and laid flat. When the stock was fed through it laid flat with
a horizontal cut. I don't remember if the blade was 3 or 4 inches.
The major problem that my friend had was supporting the long stock and keeping
it evenly fed so there was not a rippled surface on the cut pieces.
He had nice cuts on very short stock 2 foot or less.

Lenny http://www.geocities.com/lenny_mchugh/