Max and all,
surprisingly zink carbon cells are still around  they're sold as
"heavy duty" 9 volt batteries for sure, I've seen some smoke
alarms which call for them, forgotten why.

Of course in the old days, when vaccuum tube portable receivers
were about, they had zink carbon packs of seriesed cells that
went up to 90 or even 120 volts I believe. Not sure what the
individual cells in those packs looked like, but i do remember
22.5 volt packs that were the cross section of a 9 volt but about
twice as long and had a connector on either end.  They were made
up of little flat cells as some 9 volt packs still are.

These were called B batteries as they supplied the high
voltages or B plus for tube rigs.  That's why we have A and  C
but not B cells today.

Havn't seen one of those 'telephone' cells in years, and they had
such neat screw terminals on top, were fun for messing around.

tom

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered