Peter:
The ones I've used were really quite simple.  Basically, they resembled a
rotary lawn mower with two bicycle wheels on the front and an extended handle.
Instead of a blade, they had a four or six point (can't remember) bit with
carbide tips.  There was a shield to the rear of the housing to protect the
operator.  You simply raised, lowered and moved the bit over the stump by
moving the long handle..  These weren't any more noisey than any other small
gas engine except that there was some clanging and banging as pieces of stump
hit the shield.

 Bill Stephan
Kansas City, MO
(816)803-2469