I agree, but some times I just don't want to sound like a broken record.
David Ferrin
----- Original Message -----
From: Lenny McHugh
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 11:14 PM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] electric heat loss

We need a subject change.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Max Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Tuesday, August 28, 2007 10:02 PM
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] What Do You Want Information ON?

examples of electric resistance heating are an electric range, including the
oven, an electric furnace, as opposed to a heat pump, and anything else
that turns electricity into heat. It may be argued that not all of the heat
gets into the food because some is lost into the kitchen. True. It also
may be argued that an electric furnace has some loss of heat to the crawl
space and that is true. However, your figure of 35 percent is much too
low. If the ducts are well insulated a figure of 80 to 90 percent is much
closer to the truth.

As a matter of fact, every last watt hour of electric energy that comes into
our homes is converted into heat. Believe it or not, I have run into
faculty members in engineering who did not really believe that. The old
engineering building was heated with resistance heat. This one guy kept
going around turning off lights in the hallways even in the winter. I could
not convince him that all of the energy that goes into lighting ultimately
goes into heating the building and the thermostat will cut back, ever so
slightly, on the main resistance heating. Lighting converts most of the
electrical energy into heat and a little into light. But even the light
gets converted into heat when it is absorbed by walls floors etc. The only
exception is a very small amount of visible light that escapes through the
windows. The power that goes into your stereo is mostly converted into
heat. A small amount is converted into sound energy but when that is
absorbed by the walls it is converted into heat. Only that small amount of
sound you can hear outside has escaped the walls of your house. Even the
escaping light and sound is ultimately converted into heat because that is
the end point of all other forms of energy. Remember, energy can not be
created or destroyed, it can only be converted from one kind to another.
Back me up Dan?

Regards.

Max. K 4 O D S.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]