Gaadz Spiro, you're making me work pretty hard today, and I thought
I was on bloody vacation this week <GRIN>

Most of the stuff on chips is transistors.  These are made by
putting very small bits of impurities on to very pure silicon
wafers.  these impurities make the silicon become a semi
conductor, it will pass current better in one direction than
another.  This is now a days done down at the micron level, one
micrometer per transistor or other feature.  they do do resistors
and capacitors but I don't think many inductors.  Inductors can
be simulated by doing strips of copper on printed boards, just
like a coil in two dimentions, or more likely two strips close
together will appear like an inductor or capacitor.

but most of it is transistors and resistors. computer or other
digital chiips are nearly all gates, and, or and so on and
circuits made up from those basic components and those only need
transistors and resistors.

it's all done under very high magnification and by dribbling or
electrically depositing small amounts of impurities on the pure
silicon.

tom

Net-Tamer V 1.13 Beta - Registered