hi again.

i was not sure about my answer so i checked.
if the old flooring is in perfect shape and stuck down firmly every where
you can put the new on top.  it is best to use a flor leving compound on
the old if it has an embossed pattern or it will bleed thru.some new sheet
flooring is called tape down and does not need the lever.
if the old is peeling, even a little strip it like i said and use the mat
or if you want a real nice job then put a layer of 1/4 inch underlayment
plywood right over the old.