I think, in the U.S. now a days, the connection between the electrical
ground and water system is no longer used.  I was under the imression that
the electrical safety ground should be tied only to the ground
rod that's directly below the meter box.

What I remember being very surprised at when we visited england in 1973, was
the light wire they could use in appliance cords.  Gaads I saw lamps wired
with what I'd call bell wire.  Of course the current requirements  being half
of what is usual here made the difference.

I don't remember switches at outlets but may have forgotten.  Except for the
coin operated meters in cheap hotel rooms that is.

Tom