No doubt you will save money but $500 will take a long time. Just now I think
we are paying about 35 cents a cubic meter which means you will have to save
around 1500 cubic meters over what ever time period to make up the cost. Gas
will doubtless go up in time too which will shorten that pay-back period a bit
more.

A better investment but a more expensive one would be to change the furnace out
for a closed combustion one and if you have a gas hot water tank to change that
too so you get rid of the chimney. There you save both the standing pilots and
the constant heat loss up the flu. A new furnace though will cost rather more
than 500 bucks. An open flu though is like having a hole in the roof the size
of the draft opening where the furnace and/or the water tank vent into the
chimney and it is drawing warmed house air out constantly. When the furnace is
operating it too is burning already heated home air for combustion. Along with
the added efficiency, most run these days in excess of 90% you might reduce
your consumption by as much as half if you can block up the chimney. Half is
probably at the top end of optimism but it will be substantial.

So much depends on how much you pay for gas now. 500 bucks though sounds a
little steep but I haven't hired a furnace man recently, fifteen or sixteen
years now, might be very reasonable.

Dale Leavens, Cochrane Ontario Canada
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Skype DaleLeavens