A few years ago a lot of people tried to promote  a universal consumer
electronics
bus, they had a mess of perfectly usable standards for communicating between
various appliances etc. It would have been a great thing for us as many devices
would have been remotely readable and controllable.

But guess who, the lawyers decided there would
be too much liability fuss between manufacturers and vendors
of third party equipment, so the idea died.

If all the promises of internet accessible appliances ever happen, it might
really help, but I ain't holdin my breath.

Tom