You need to check with a proper source perhaps  someone from EPA or
the actual industry.
i believe mercury has not been used in fluorescent bulbs for years and that
older balasts using PCBs have been also gone for years.

What he says about mercury vapor is correct, but I don't believe modern
bulbs use mercury.
Also true for PCBs they havn't been in the condensors in balasts for over 20
years.

I will check with a qualified source and confirm this.

Tom Fowle
Embedded Systems Developer/ Rehab engineer
Rehabilitation Engineering Research Center
The Smith-Kettlewell Eye Research Institute
2318 Fillmore St.
San Francisco, CA 94115
415-345-2123 (Voice)
 [EMAIL PROTECTED]