Hi dale and all,
The discussions of plastering brought back some wonderful memories of my
father-in-law and a few of Karen's uncles.
Karen's grandfather was a builder. Her dad learned the trade of mason and
plasterer, one uncle was taught the plumbing trade and the other an
electrician. They worked together when building their homes. Karen's dad had
tons of mountain stone delivered. He cut and faced every stone for the home and
fireplace. He told me that when plastering he had several people mixing the mud
for him so that they could keep up. He  walked around on stilts plastering the
ceilings.He could plaster one floor of a new home in a day. Even when he was in
his sixties he built a patio. I could not mix the mud fast enough for him. He
could lay 1,000 block a day.

There was one fantastic story about her uncle who became the plumber. A man
dropped something in the basement and broke off the drain plug on his oil
tanks. he was sitting on the floor like the little Dutch boy with his finger in
the drain hole preventing a bigger oil spill. When  Gus arrived.
He replaced the valve in full tanks without spilling more than a few ounces. He
took his vacuum cleaner and taped the hose to the fill tube and totally taped
up the vent pipe. When he turned on the vacuum cleaner it made a slight vacuum
inside the tanks preventing  the oil from running out. he just then turned out
the broken valve and installed a new one. That happened forty to fifty years
ago and since has become a common practice. I know that I never would have
thought of that.

Lenny http://www.geocities.com/lenny_mchugh/