OVEN TEMPERATURES
. Found a recipe you want to try but, unfortunately, it only gives oven
temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit and you cook by gas - what is the gas
mark equivalent?

. What is meant by "cook in a moderate oven"?

. My new cooker has Celsius markings, how do I convert my old recipes?

Degrees Fahrenheit

Degrees Celsius

Gas Mark

Description

225

110

1/4

Very slow
250

120/130

1/2

Very slow
275

140

1

Slow
300

150

2

Slow
325

160/170

3

Moderate
350

180

4

Moderate
375

190

5

Moderately hot
400

200

6

Moderately hot
425

220

7

Hot
450

230

8

Hot
475

240

9

Very hot
table end

Please remember this is a guide only and not exact conversions.

As a rule of thumb Celsius is roughly half the Fahrenheit temperature.

Fan assisted ovens are usually set approximately 25 degrees Celsius (i.e.
approximately 50 degrees Fahrenheit) lower than others and cooking time is
reduced
by 10 minutes for every hour of cooking time.

Different manufacturers and oven types do vary, so always refer to your
cooker instruction book.