The Bottom Line
The PSI (Penn State Industries) Woodworking PHJIG3 Pocket Hole Jig is a very
comparable and likely more durable pocket hole jig than models made from
plastic.
This unit is manufactured from machined aluminum with hardened steel
bushings. The stepped positions for cutting various thicknesses of stock
leaves no
ambiguity, and the adjustments for different widths is quick and easy. While
the instruction sheet could be more descriptive, the images on the back of
the box are simple enough to guide anyone to mastery with this well-designed
pocket hole jig in a matter of minutes. A very good tool at a great price.
Pros
. All parts (except knobs and pads) made from machined aluminum and hardened
steel
. 5 preset positions for cutting 1/2", 3/4", 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" thick
stock
. Can use screws from other pocket jig manufacturers
Cons
. Included instruction sheet not very clear - more descriptive instructions
would be helpful

Description
. Cuts pocket joints for picture frames, T-joints, square corner joints,
curve joints, post & rail joints and more.
. Includes 11" face frame clamp, bench mount & portable jigs, 3/8" step
drill bit w/stop collar, square drive bits and screws.
. Easily adjusts for thinner and thicker material. No guess work.

With the increased popularity of pocket hole jigs in recent years, there
have been a few different manufacturers who have developed pocket hole jigs,
from
simple to complex. Out of the pocket hole jigs that I've used, I've found
the PHJIG3 to be the simplest to use, as well as the most well built. Other
than
the knobs and pads (for gripping the stock), all parts are manufactured from
machined aluminum or hardened steel. There are no plastic parts that might
be inclined to break if a tool is dropped on them.

Additionally, the jig is easy and quick to adjust. It takes a moment to get
the hang of the adjustment mechanism, mainly because the instruction sheet
is
a bit hard-to-follow, but once the concept is mastered, this jig is so
simple that a ten-year-old (with proper supervision, of course) could use
it. The
jig will easily make pocket joints for picture frames, mitered frame corner
joints, square corner joints, T-joints, curve joints, post and rail joints
and pretty much any other type of joint where a pocket joint is appropriate.
Some screws are included with the unit, but pocket hole screws from any
manufacturer
can be used with the jig.

As we noted above, while the included instructions aren't as clear as we
like, it should be noted that PSI does give away a
free DVD
that not only shows how to use the jig but also shows how to build an entire
cabinet project.