In the Autumn issue, number 8,  of Woodworking Magazine on page 5 someone
describes a way to set a miter gauge to exactly square using a dial
indicator.  That's certainly not a blind friendly device.   It seems to me
as if he is inserting an unnecessary step even for a sighted person.  This
became of interest to me when I discovered that cuts I thought were square,
weren't.  My solution was to take my combination square and set the ruler so
the end was exactly flush with the square edge of the casting part, then
lock it in place.  Then I used a small C clamp to clamp the casting to the
fence of the gauge and lined up the ruler with the long thing, I forget what
it's called, of the gauge.  This can easily be done by feel.  With the miter
gauge lined up this way, when I made a square cut it was actually square.
Oh yes, don't forget to check the combination square against a good
carpenter's square to be sure it is exact.  One that was cheep to begin with
or has been kicked around your shop for several years may not be on true
square.

Regards.

Max.  K 4 O D S.

Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]