Bob I don't feel so bad now,
After all you have worked around gas engines for what did you say 30 years.
That would be how many countless thousands of hours. Figure close to 2000
per year if you were full time.


-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Behalf Of Bob Kennedy
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 6:02 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] spilled gasoline

As for the part of you being the only one to do something like that, you
aren't. Last summer I rebuilt a carburetor for a chain saw and fired it up.
Without thinking I gave it a couple quick revs and punched the end of the
bar through the side of the plastic can. Doesn't stand up to a sharp chain
for any length of time.

I'd move the snow with a shovel just to be safe, but it's already diluted
quite a bit mixing with the snow. But anyone living near the Cleveland area
can tell you that water will burn if polluted enough. Remember the river
that caught fire? Gas is nothing to play games with but it would take a
pretty good spark to ignite it now. If you have a plastic dust pan you might
use that to scoop up the left over. If you are really worried, you can dump
a bag of kitty litter over the area and wait for it to soak up the gas which
it will do.
----- Original Message -----
From: robert moore
To: Blind Handyman
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 1:10 PM
Subject: [BlindHandyMan] spilled gasoline

To make a short story long I went out and dug out my snow blower and tried
to start it and it would not start so I added some new gas. There was some
in the tank but not much. I hooked up the electric start and after a while I
gave up and went into the house.
Well wen I went out to try it again I forgot that I had left the gas tank on
the ground and once I got it started I began to clear some snow with it. Low
and behold I found the gas can with the snow blower. It was junping around
and then I started smelling gas and that is when I remembered the gas can.
It is plastic. The two good things are that I did not blow myself up and
the other good thing is that I cut into the back side instead of the front
so I think I only lost maybe a quart to a half gallon. There is still a fair
amounht in the can which I will use to top off the tank and probably put the
rest in the car. My question is assuming I spilled say a half gallon on the
ground in a pile of snow. How long do you think it might take for it to
evaporate to the point that it would be safe to use the snow blower in that
area?
Also I wonder if I should just use the shovel to move that snow out of that
spot.
Am I really the only one that does that kind of dumb stuff.

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Reply via email to