I used to have a Black & Decker 12 inch electric chain saw that I used for
firewood and a heck of a good job it did, too, but, everything has a life,
and, eventually, it gave up the ghost and went to join other retired tools
in the great workshop in the sky!
I have relied on my petrol-driven Pouland since, but I find it a flipping
pest as when I put it down and leave it idling, it pops away quietly until I
lift it to start cutting again, and then 9 times out of 10, it stops.
I have now bought off Trade Me, NZ's answer to EBay, a brand new Painier 16
inch bar electric chain saw.
It is made in China, but don't hold that against it.  The clutch cover is
held in place by a simple win-type of handle, and this round handle has an
outer ring thing which you twist to tighten or loosen the chain.  No more
having to hunt for that pesky socket spanner and small screwdriver!
It looked as though it was capable of causing some real serious damage, so
yesterday, after assembling it, I took it out to see just what it could do.
I showed it a tree with a trunk diameter of around 24 inches.  It made very
light work of that joker.  Admittedly, I didn't actually bring the tree
down, as I am a little chary of trees falling on me: ]funny that!]: but I
cut away until the tree was very wobbly, and when I pushed it by hand, it
made cracking noises.  I figure that I would leave the next strong wind to
complete the job of bringing it down.

        Jewel