Sometimes there is a need to have access to pipes or other things that
hide within our homes walls. The easiest way to provide a clean looking
solution
is to install a plastic access panel.

They come in a variety of sizes.
Install with only a few simple tools.
Can be painted to match your wall.

In our example we are building a basement wall. Behind the wall is our
waste line clean-out.

To be able to access the pipe at a later time we find the smallest
access panel we can.

Before we installed the piece of drywall covering the pipe we took
measurements from the floor up and from the wall on the right side to
the center of the
pipe fitting.

With a drywall saw cut a small opening just to check that the pipe is
found.

Place the frame of the access panel on the wall and draw a line around
the inside of the opening. You will need to cut the opening slightly
larger then
the line you draw so the frame will fit into the drywall.

Now just cut out the drywall.

Give the frame a test fit to make sure the opening in the drywall is
large enough.

Apply Construction adhesive on the back of the frame.

Press the frame into place then remove it so you can make sure that
adhesive is contacting all around the opening.

It is important to have a good glue bond all around the opening because
when you use the access panel later the glue will need to withstand the
prying needed
to get the cover off.

Now that we have checked the glue and the panel seems to fit ok insert
the frame and then insert the panel cover.

You can use a few pieces of tape to hold the cover in place until the
construction adhesive drys overnight.

Check the directions for your access panel to see how latex paint should
be applied. You may not need to use a primer on the plastic so when you
prime your
wall you should stay away from the access panel.

This message and its attachments may contain legally
privileged or confidential information. If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose or use the
information contained in it. If you have received this e-mail
in error, please notify the sender immediately by return
e-mail and delete the e-mail.

Any content of this message and its attachments which
does not relate to the official business of Eraring Energy
must be taken not to have been sent or endorsed by
Eraring Energy. No warranty is made that the e-mail or
attachment(s) are free from computer virus or other defect.