   _____

From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Betsy Whitney, Dolphin Press
Sent: Monday, January 21, 2008 3:55 PM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] Intro and question.

Hi Alan,
You'll probably get lots of opinions about this one, but here in
Hawaii where roaches can be an issue, we use some form of boric acid.
You can buy it in powder form, but that tends to be messy. We have
something here called Harris Pills. My friend in Florida says they
have a product that is called Boric Acid tablets. These can be tossed
behind a stove or refrigerator, put on top of cabinets, tossed behind
the washer, and near and in any warm dark place like around the water
heater and under the kitchen and bathroom sink.

My box says that they last about three months and that you only need
one tablet per room. I find that they last much longer than that,
but we have very few roaches in our home now. This house was a rental
when we bought it, so it took us about a month to get rid of the roaches.

Get rid of things like paper grocery bags, cardboard boxes. Many
times those things have roach eggs in them and you can't see them.
Since some foods come in boxes, I usually put the contents of the box
or the whole box in a plastic container or a large ziplock bag.
Remember, food boxes have glue on them and they have been stored in a
warehouse somewhere before you get them home.

As for something that you can put on your shelves, the only thing I
know is some form of No Bugs MyLady shelf paper. This item has an
insect repellant on it, so I have issues with putting my food and
plates that we eat from on it. Some people put it down and then put a
regular cupboard liner on top of it. It doesn't last forever, so
removing it and replacement is a problem.

However, most of us in Hawaii have figured out that if you put no
shelf paper in your cupboards and wipe them down about once a year
with some sort of pine cleaner, roaches hate it. My cupboards are
lined on the bottom with linoleum. It took some time and work but is
easy to clean. We bought scraps from our local flooring store.

Roaches also like glue on envelopes and spines of books. They love to
hide in the comb binding of braille books too.

Oh, and about ants.
Drawing a chalk line actually does work, but if you want something
more aggressive, we use a product called Taro Drops. You just put a
drop, really a drop, on a piece of paper and put it near where you
see the ants. They eat it and take it back to their nest. Keep it
away from places that animals can get to it because it is sweet and toxic.
This is probably much more than you wanted to know about critters in the
home.
Betsy

At 06:43 PM 1/20/2008, you wrote:
>What do you do if it is ants or roaches?
>

>Alan D Wheeler
><HYPERLINK "mailto:awheeler%40neb.rr.com"[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>Messenger: HYPERLINK
"mailto:awheeler1965%40sbcglobal.net"[EMAIL PROTECTED]
"http://alan-wheeler.blogspot.com/"http://alan--wheeler.blogspot-.com/
"http://reporter-guy.livejournal.com/"http://reporter--guy.livejournal.-com/

> _____
>
>From: HYPERLINK
"mailto:blindhandyman%40yahoogroups.com"[EMAIL PROTECTED]