Not to mention the chance of nicking a seal as you put the thing back together.
 Putting the car out of use for even longer.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Larry Stansifer
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:37 AM
  Subject: RE: [BlindHandyMan] non user servasable parts?

  Guys,

  The only industry I can speak for is automotive service.
  The best way I can make my point is with an example.
  For our purposes we will discuss a brake master cylinder.
  I come to work and the first job of the day is a 1985 911 Porsche with
  marginal brakes. I put it on the lift and determine that brake fluid is
  leaking from the master cylinder.
  I talk to the service writer and we determine that a brand new master
  cylinder is $214.00 to the customer. book time on removing and replacing
  (R&R is one hour. We now have a total bill of $274.00 plus tax and brake
  fluid.
  Now let's rebuild that same brake master cylinder. The book gives me 6 hours
  to remove, rebuild and replace that same cylinder. $360.00 Labor, $42.00
  for the kit, $9.00 each for new brake light switch and low level fluid
  indicator switch. We now have a subtotal of $420.00 not including tax and
  brake fluid.
  We saved the customer well over $100.00 by installing a new cylinder and he
  has his car back by 10:30 that same morning.