You probably already know this but thought I'd bring it up since it wasn't
mentioned.
When it comes to batteries, there are several chemistries they use. They are
Ni-cad, Nimh, and Lithium ion.
It is my understanding Ni-cad batteries are still used on most tools. However,
they can be a problem, especially if you don't maintain them correctly. If you
charge them without running them down completely, they will develop a memory.
That translates to the battery will not discharge all the way. Example, you
take the battery to 50% capacity. You then charge it. Now, you will only get
50% of the battery capacity before the battery dies. This may not happen
immediately, but over time if the pattern continues, it will. Also, Ni-cad
batteries will loose their charge when not in use. So if you are like me and
don't use your tools for a couple months, you should plan on charging the
battery when you do need them. Finally, Ni-cad batteries are the heaviest.
Nimh batteries are better in that they are not supposed to develop a memory.
They do loose their charge over time, though and are also sensitive to
overcharging. You will need a charger that is designed for these types of
batteries. Don't use a charger designed for Ni-cad batteries to charge a Nimh
battery or you could run into problems.
Lithium ion batteries are the lightest and best when it comes down to it, but
they are more expensive. They don't have the memory problems of Ni-cad. They
will not loose their charge as fast as Ni-cad or Nimh. It is my understanding
they can go for months on end in storage and have close to a full charge. A
Lithium ion is smaller but can have more power than the Nimh or Ni-cad
equivalents. I personally have Rigid tools and recently got a compact cordless
drill which came with 2 Lithium ion batteries. These batteries are 3 mah. The
batteries that came with the original tool kit are 2.5 mah, over twice as big,
and more than twice as heavy. Another advantage to Lithium ion is that you will
get full power up till the last drop of energy is used, which can't be said for
Nimh or Ni-cad batteries. Again, make sure the charger you use will charge
Lithium ion batteries. It is my understanding these batteries can be
particularly nasty if you use the wrong charger. Speaking of chargers, the
ultimate would be one that could do all types of batteries mentioned here.
Assuming such a charger exists, and assuming it is available for your tools,
this would be something worth looking into.

Shane