From: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, February 06, 2008 4:35 AM
To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [BlindHandyMan] That little voice

oh man!
sorry that happened to you.
Tell your neighbors the story so he has to learn to show himself to be
worthy of their approval before he hurts anyone else.

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, David Sexton wrote:

> I've known for years that when the little voice in my head warns me
> that I'm in an unsafe situation I need to take action. Some times that
> means using a tool differently or building a jig to make the task
> safer.
>
> I was injured recently (not in my wood shop) and I think the story
> might be useful to someone so here it is.
>
> I was removing a tree in my front yard because it dropped balls of sap
> on my cars and driveway. I got it down to the stump and was digging
> and cutting roots to remove the stump. My neighbor from a few houses
> down said he removes a lot of trees and offered to come help me dig
> out the stump. I could tell right away that this guy was trying way
> too hard to show how fast and hard he could work. My little voice was
> screaming at me to either go in the house and let him do it alone or
> just thank him and say I would do it alone. I was not comfortable
> having a volunteer work in my yard while I sat in the house, and I did
> not want to be rude and tell him to go home. I increased my distance
> from him to around 7 feet, but it wasn't enough.
>
> He was swinging my axe trying to remove a root and lost his grip on
> the axe handle. The axe flew out of his hands and the head of it hit
> me in the face. The dull end hit and broke my nose into three pieces.
> The hospital staff rushed me into a CT scan which showed, contrary to
> their expectations, that I did not have a skull fracture. I was
> wearing heavy safety glasses that are likely the reason I did not lose
> an eye. This was three weeks ago. The bone and flesh are not yet
> healed to the point that I can return to my woodshop. I missed a lot
> of days at work and I haven't received the big medical bill yet.
>
> My point is that you should not let your desire to be polite to
> someone override the little voice that tells you how to avoid injury.
> If someone around you is doing something dangerous, it is better to be
> thought rude than allow someone to put you in danger. I have listened
> to the little voice for years as a guide to what I should not do. Now
> I know that I have to make it clear to people around me what the voice
> warns they should not do.

To listen to the show archives go to link  http://acbradio.org/handyman.html
or ftp://ftp.acbradio.org/acbradio-archives/handyman/

Visit The Blind Handy Man Files Page To Review Contributions From Various
List Members At The Following address:
http://www.jaws-users.com/JAWS/handyman/

If you would like to join the JAWS Users List, then visit the following
address for more information: http://www.jaws-users.com/ For a complete list
of email commands pertaining to the Blind Handy Man list just send a blank
message to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

Teach InfoWest Spam Trap if this mail (ID 155453930) is spam:
Spam:
https://spamtrap.infowest.com/canit/b.php?i=155453930&m=5934657934d8&c=s
Not spam:
https://spamtrap.infowest.com/canit/b.php?i=155453930&m=5934657934d8&c=n