The little cloth thing is the filter.  So I would say it's blowing a bit back
in the air.  You can take an old pillow case and large rubber band and make  a
new filter.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Matt
  To: blindhandyman@yahoogroups.com
  Sent: Wednesday, April 16, 2008 11:58 AM
  Subject: [BlindHandyMan] Question about a shopvac

  Hi,
  How do shop vacs deal with the dust and such that comes into them?
  Do they blow it back out through a hole in top?
  That is the feeling I am getting.
  I am using an old plastic one I have had for years.
  I mainly used it for outdoor use, and I intend to try and clean some drains
with it today.
  Anyway, I got it out, hooked a hose to it and tried to suck up some sand in
my garage.
  I think I have lost the little cloth thing which used to fix to the inside
with a ring.
  Was that necessary to keep it from blowing dust?
  Is it blowing dust, or is it just seeming as though it is blowing dust?
  Thanks for any answers in advance.