Well looks like I got the problem fixed. I didn't have to dig as far as I
thought since the pipe was in good condition. I initially wanted to replace
the pipe from the meter all the way down to the 90 but a friend told me it
wasn't necessary to do this. When all was said and done, 30 inches of pipe
was replaced. Now for some questions.
What is the difference between the types of coupling that are used? My
friend told me I had an api (a p I) coupling. Then another friend told me
the coupling I was trying to use is a merchant coupling. I thought a
coupling is a coupling, didn't know there were several types.
Second, I've heard from several people who say do *not* use galvanized pipe
for gas, but I've heard from just as many saying they use it all the time
with no problems. The gas technician who originally came out says that the
code says you can use galvanized. So what's the story on this?
Third, for future reference are there any tips you have for digging? My
parents lent me a shovel and it got the job done, but it was extremely slow.
Felt like I was digging through concrete, not dirt. It's only a matter of
time before I'll have to dig again (sewer lines this time). It's just a
matter of when (hopefully no time soon).

Shane